Friday, November 9, 2007

Inspiration vs. Perspiration: Bloggin' On Empty

I heard a preacher or a writer or some sorta communicator type say that his work was "10% inspiration and 90% perspiration," and as a professional (who acts like an amateur) communicator myself, I thought, "Well, that sucks." I have since learned what the fellow, whose face and name I cannot for the life of me recall, meant.

Sometimes, it just doesn't flow. You sit in your chair beneath the glow of the 60 watt overhead bulbs and the whir of the ceiling fan you ought to be dusting...and stare at the softly lit computer screen with nothing to say. But you're a blogger. You have millions - or maybe a half-dozen - people waiting with bated breath to read what you write. You have to say something, don't you?

So, you reach way down deep into your soul, feel around in there, and find it empty. You rack your brain and find that hurts almost as much as racking your balls. Nothing in your heart. Nothing on your mind. So what do you do?

Do you do what I just did? Do you write anyway...about nothing and hope it flies? Or do you walk away and live to fight another day? I guess it depends on your work ethic. When inspiration is nowhere to be found, perspiration is bound to result.

So, there you have it, my fellow blogger: my advice when you are bloggin' on empty. Write anyway. Write away. Write now.

PS- I know this is a sports blog and it appears at first blush that this post has nothing whatever to do with sports. Look closer! I referenced racking balls, which, in its original context, is a billiards term. That's a sport. Right?

No comments: