Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Murder, He Wrote

Is it Kharma? Is it the biblical law of "sowing and reaping?" Is it a man getting his "come-uppance?" Or, is it just OJ being "the Juice?"

Whatever it is, you have to wonder at a man who gets away with murder and then sets out to find any way possible to self-destruct. It isn't enough that he bears the Mark of Cain on him; this pathetic creature has to go out of his way to find new troubles for himself.

It all seems to be about what it has always been about with OJ Simpson: incredible selfishness and greed. If there is a way to capitalize on murder, he will try to find it. (See his not-quite confessional and so-called novel, "If I Did It.") If there is still money to be made on his now too-distant and forgotten glory days in football, he wants to be dang sure he is the one making it...even if he has to form his own illegal task force and storm a hotel room to make it so.

The first professional football game I ever attended was in the early seventies at Texas Stadium. My Dad took a couple of my friends and me to see the Cowboys vs. the Buffalo Bills on a Monday night. I got to see the storied Doomsday II defense face the most feared and revered running back (and some might argue the greatest ever), OJ Simpson. That meant so much to me!

But that was then. My, how a little murder can spoil a good memory.

No comments: